I have been caught on a speeding camera on the M25 travelling

Customer Question

I have been caught on a speeding camera on the M25 travelling at 58 -60 mph in a 50 mph limit. This occurred 4 times in 1 month, and I had committed all 4 offences before receiving notification of the 1st offence. I had a clean driving licence before, and now face a disqualification. I genuinely thought the speed limit was 60 mph on this section - The 50 mph limit is not because of roadworks, and the limit reduces straight from 70 to 50 on this 4 lane motorway. 2 of the offences are on consectutive days. I have responded to the first 2 conditional offers by paying the £100 fines and accepting 3 points for each offence. I don't know whether to accept the 3rd and appeal against number 4, or to appeal against number 3. The 3rd was the day after the 2nd. I hope this makes sense - please advise. Joe Yeates

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

On what basis do you wish to appeal please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo

I would like to appeal on one, if not all of the following .. if a speeding camara is a deterrent, due to the system, I was not notified until 4 offences had taken place. Secondly, there are 2 x 50 mph signs, but during the dust at the time of the incident, they do not really stand out and the differnce between 50 and 60 on a sign is not crystal clear, and an easy mistake to make. Thirdly, my journey on the M25 daily means I travel for at least 30 miles of roadworks where a clearly signed 50 mph limit is in place. I have not exceeded this limit when driving daily on this route - I am a consciencious driver. Lastly my previous driving record is very good. To go from a clean licence to a ban seems incredibly harsh and I would like the incident(s) to be taken in context i.e. not dangerous, careless or wreckless driving, not driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, nor using a mobile phone.

Were you speeding?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes - I am not challenging this 58, 58, 60 and 60. As noted before I thought the limit was 60mph

OK. Sorry if I'm missing the point but why should the speed limit be 60mph? Normally it would be 70 mph but you seem to accept knowing that there was a reduction and basically presuming it was 60 mph?

What exactly made you think it was 60 mph?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have been driving along this road for many years, but I can't be certain whether the speed limit has changed. The apprach to Th Dartford Crossing reduces, eventually to 40 mph. I thought the section I was driving was 60 mph and the limit went to 50 further along the road when you travel onto the bridge. I have since realised the limit goes from 70 to 50 mph

Is this the Dartford Toll Tunnel? I used that stretch of road fairly regularly and I know the signing quite well.