UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I am at a BWML Marina. I pay a yearly mooring fee over 12 months

I am at a BWML Marina. I pay a yearly mooring fee over 12 months renewable and renegotiatble each year. There are set rates for residential moorings. This year they are giving new moorers a £1000 off the annual mooring as an incentive. I've written to them to ask for a £1000 off too and they wrote back to say its to encourage new members like a gym but gyms only usually give about a month free worth around £50 or waive a joining fee usually around a £100. This is a lot more money and I'm wondering what the legal situation is, whether its fair and whether we can ask for some money back. There are no differences in the services etc.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Yes, what they are doing is legal but is it fair? Certainly not.

You should try and negotiate the mooring fee downwards or threaten not to renew your contract as it is a renewable one.

Hope this helps