UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hi, I am an English national who married my Indonesian wife

Customer Question

Hi, I am an English national who married my Indonesian wife in Jakarta,April 2000, the marriage being recognized also here in the UK.We returned to the Uk at that time, and remained here, my wife, incidentally also working and in doing so, having a National Insurance number given, until 2004 end, when we decided to sell up all, and relocate to Indonesia , where we remained until last Novemeber 2013, when i returned to the family home of my mothers, here in Northamptiopnshire.....I am without equity at this time, funds are available mid 2015, from insurance payouts...and through my step father , offering as a sponsor, the chance for my wife to visit here on a 6 month family visiting visa. We have been refused this application,and are limited to appeal.... I am writing to you, asking whether there are precedures which by contacting the Human Rights, is there a case to answer for keeping a legal husband and wife apart at this time, even allowing for the fact of my lacking of finance/equity, but being supported by family members for this family visa being denied by the British Embassy acting for Indonesia, based in Manila? Thanks Paul

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Hello Paul,

Why was the application refused ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, inserted is the letter given to my wife from the British Embassy in Manila..Paul

Hello Paul,

It is a shame that your wife did not apply for British Citizenship before you relocated to Indonesia as that would have avoided the problems you are facing now.

I am afraid the decision refusing the visit visa seems to be valid if no evidence was given showing that your wife has ties to Indonesia that she would return to e.g. Family there, property, employment etc.

An applicant for a visit visa must show that they will return back to their home country after the visit to the UK.

She may reapply rather than appeal if she can show evidence that she will return back etc. also the fact that you moved to the UK in November 2013 shows that your wife may not return back to Indonesia after her intended visit.

Sorry but I cannot give you better news.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ty very much for your input...... I guess she will just have to re-apply on this matter...... Paul

Welcome.
If your wife wishes to return to the UK to settle, she may consider applying for a returning resident visa which re activates her lapsed indefinite leave to remain. The fact that you have moved back to the UK should help

https://www.gov.uk/returning-resident-visa

All the best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ty much for your input, greatly received..... Paul :)

Welcome