tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

My husband has been to the dentist this week to have a gold

My husband has been to the dentist this week to have a gold crown replaced. It is clearly on the wrong way around and he is unable to eat properly. His jaw is causing considerable pain because his teeth are not correctly aligned. At the end of his appointment he asked the dentist why it was incorrectly placed and he was told 'this is the only way it will go in so it must be right'. We pay for our treatment by monthly instalment to Denplan and want to know what we can do to get this corrected?

Any help would be much appreciated as my husband is 71 and this is causing considerable distress.

Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX can assist with this.

tdlawyer :

Have you asked for another dentist at the same practice to review it for you?

Customer:

No but we have made an appointment with another dental practice for Monday

tdlawyer :

Okay, that's good. If the new detist discovers this has been done wrongly, I expect he would be able to put it right for your husband. If so, then the cost of doing that can be invoiced to the other dentist, and they should be asked to meet the cost - either with Denplan being involved (preferably) or otherwise.

Customer:

That's fine but what if the new dentist says go back to the old one to get it fixed or the old dentist refuses to pay for the corrective treatment

tdlawyer :

Then proceedings could be issued against the old dentist to recover any costs you have to pay out. You can do it online at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. However, your husband may have a claim for pain and suffering too, and I would therefore suggest that he looks at instructing a no-win no-fee solicitor to pursue a claim as this will not be a "small claims" matter if it goes to court.

tdlawyer :

He could just pursue his corrective costs if needed, to keep it in small claims and do it himself, but if he is suffering from this, then it may be preferable to him to make a larger claim to include pain/suffering damages too. However, he should ideally see a solicitor before doing that.

Customer:

One last question, can we cancel our denplan membership without having any impact on the outcome of this current issue?

tdlawyer :

No, it shouldn't, your arrangements with Denplan are separate to your action against the dentist. However, it might be worth engaging with Denplan to help resolve the issue as they would have more weight against the dentish that one person alone. If you can keep them on board to help resolve this, that's the preferable thing to do.

Customer:

Thank you for your help, hopefully we can get this resolved.