tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

What does "cost in petition" mean, does it mean the costs included

What does "cost in petition" mean, does it mean the costs included in the petition, or does it mean cost in further attending the hearing

tdlawyer :

Hi, thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX can assist with this.

tdlawyer :

This usually means that the person presenting their petition gets their costs.

tdlawyer :

That is, if the petition succeeds.

Customer:

Ok, i have paid off the petition and the costs included in the petition, the solicitor is saying i owe another £770.02 for cost and disbursements, so i do owe this then is that correct

tdlawyer :

The principle is right, yes. However, the amount of the solicitors costs might be challengeable.

tdlawyer :

It's possible to have the costs assessed by the court, but for the sum of £770, the sensible thing is to reach an agreement as the costs of the assessment process would outweight any benefit derived from having them assessed.

Customer:

Thank you. i misunderstood the court order, as it didn't say a sum, i thought it had order me to pay the costs which were included in the petition

tdlawyer :

You're welcome. Is there anything more I can assist with?

Customer:

No, thank you for your quick response

tdlawyer :

You're welcome. Have a good weekend.