Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

If you see a CP016 displayed in a members club, what is this

If you see a CP016 displayed in a members club, what is this exactly???
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

Would I be correct to assume your club involves children in some respects please?

Joshua :

May I ask what kind of club is involved?

Customer:

Children are allowed in of course but only until 9pm This is a members club and is a tenant of the Parish Council. Next door is the village hall that has a full on licence and personal licence and the members club is merely supposed to be action as a social club with members base. They charge £6 per annum. There is little or no facility for sports as the land is owned and used by the Parish Council or the village hall. The club is pretty small and although it has a concertina door to separate, has only one bar and only uses one set of accounts. It is designated as a non profit making club.

Joshua :

Joshua :

Does the club sell alcohol?

Customer:

Yes it does and unfortunately does not adhere to its members and guest ruling most of the time

Joshua :

thank you. The Licencing Act requires any selling of alcohol to be licenced and a premises licence to be obtained from the local authority.

Customer:

I get that but I am assuming they are running under a CPC club premises certificate but since all they have displayed is something with a CPO16 2003 reference, that is my query

Joshua :

If your club qualifies it is possible to apply for a club premises certificate. In order to be a qualifying club, a club must have at least 25 members and not be run for profit. The club can then enjoy benefits over a premises licence

Customer:

okay but what is this CPO 16 relating to, 7 pages but nothing specifying what it is - is this anything whatsoever to do with a CPC or a CPL

Joshua :

CP016 is likely to relate to a local authority policy reference. Local authorities develop polices on a wide range of issues and assign references to them. is there any context to the notice?

Customer:

I haven't read it was merely told of its existence. ok any club selling alcohol must have either a CPC or CPL or both and these should be displayed. What you are telling me is the this CPo16 has possibly nothing to do with the licence, which is kind of what I thought. I don't see that you are actually able to help me here.

Joshua :

WIthout some further context CP016 could relate to anything potentially. I am not aware of it relating to alcohol licencing from a statutory point of view. I would need some further information from the notice to comment further. Your club will need a premises licence and if it is a qualifying club, it can apply for a club premises certificate which can give benefits to nonprofitmaking clubs in respect of licensing requirements beyond commercial licensing provisions

Joshua :

would you like to find a little bit more about to be CP016 notice you refer to and revert to me?

Customer:

I can only ask the question of the club itself since as Parish Clerk all I am attempting to do is to validate the fact that the club is acting in good faith. I was just trying to be forearmed. Thank you I don't see that it is worth taking up more of your time

Joshua :

Thanks. To be clear the club will at a minimum require a premises licence in order to sell alcohol. If it is a qualifying non-profit making club with 25 members or more, the club would be wise to consider applying for a club premises certificate for the sale of alcohol because it can be financially beneficial for a non-profit making club to hold a CPC

Customer:

Thanks we will end now

Joshua :

If I can assist any further as the situation develops please do not hesitate to revert to me