UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hi, Ive received a letter from a Debt Collection agency re

Hi, I've received a letter from a Debt Collection agency re an alleged unpaid penalty notice in respect of parking at a Railway station. It states that it has been issued under Section 219 of the Transport Act 2000. I understand that this Act has been repealed. Does this make the demand invalid? Thanks, John
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

S.219 has been repealed but not the whole Transport Act 2000 and any by laws made before the section was repealed are still in force as per S.46 of the Railways Act 2005

So it is very likely that the penalty notice is valid.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good afternoon,

Thanks you for your answer which is as anticipated re S.46 of the Railways Act 2005. When I retrieved my car from the car park there was an envelope (plastic) on the windscreen containing a strip of paper from the parking management company which was totally blank on the frontside i.e. devoid of any information relating to any parking infringement. The reverse provided details of where to make payment and a list of reason codes.

Does the lack of infringement data invalidate the infringement notice?

Thanks,

John

Hello John,

That is a new question and your previous question has already been answered.

Be that as it may, you may always challenge the penalty if you feel it is not valid. You may dispute the penalty fare with the debt company but you could end up with a CCJ if they decide to take the matter to court and the court finds the penalty is valid.

All the best