12826847

can the passenger in a car that is racing with another car

Customer Question

can the passenger in a car that is racing with another car liable in any way if the car is involved in a crash

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A car is racing another car at over 100 miles an hour in a 40 mile an hour zone the lead car crashes into a third party the car that is racing and crashes has a driver and a passenger both are seriously injured the driver gets a 2yr prison sentence, the passenger then personally sues the driver for over £100,000.00 and because the engine in the car was modified the insurance company wont pay out, what im asking is the passenger liable for anything as he was involved in the race too or is it just the driver who is entirely to blame and has no defence against the claim from the passenger ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is the passenger in a car that is racing with another car at over twice the speed limit and the car crashes liable in anyway as an accessory to the crime being committed ?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thanks for the information and the time.

I did respond to this earlier but it obviously didn't upload!

The passenger would only be guilty of an offence under the criminal law if they had done something like shout words of encouragement at the driver while the offence was committed.

In civil law the passenger would only be liable if they had interfered with the driving in some way - like grabbing the streering wheel for instance.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Experience: Over 5 years in practice

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/