Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

At the beginning the landlord gave the Key to find a tenant

Customer Question

At the beginning the landlord gave the Key to find a tenant by the agent than latter the tenant wanted the Agent to act as middle party but the landlord does not want the property to be managed as with time went on the land started receiving the rent through the agent via bank.
After a year the tenant demanded that some urgent work to be carried from the health and safety issue side.till this day the landlord as not signed the management agreement and has taken the agent to small claim .
One more interesting senior occur was the land was trying to by pass and deal direct with the tenant and than when the tenant saw the difference in which both the landlord and the agent were not on the same page he stop paying rent his excuse was the property needs more repairs.
Where does the agent stand in eyes of law?
Where does the Landlord stand in the eyes of law
Where does the agent stand in the eyes of the Law?
regards
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

may I clarify whether you are the landlord tenant or agent in this scenario please?

JACUSTOMER-p1ou84jb- :

we are the agent

Joshua :

Joshua :

from what I understand, you are instructed by the landlord to locate a tenant and presumably agreed a commission fee for doing so with the landlord. even mentioned that the tenant started to pay you rent rather than directly to the landlord. Could you clarify how this came about? was this on the landlord's instruction? how did the tenant come to have your bank details?

JACUSTOMER-p1ou84jb- :

Tenant was paying either a cash at the office or sometime put into our account than we tranfared into lanlord accounts.

Joshua :

thank you. Did you accept this rent without instructions from the landlord?

JACUSTOMER-p1ou84jb- :

No he agreed about the rent to charge

Joshua :

can you confirm precisely what was agreed and whether this was agreed in writing or verbally please?

JACUSTOMER-p1ou84jb- :

it was verbally than we sent him the copy of the agreement to be signed in which he has not signed the contract till this day.

JACUSTOMER-p1ou84jb- :

Since he gave the key to us than what does this indicate?

Joshua :

Thank you. With your permission i will be with you in a couple of minutes if that is ok?

JACUSTOMER-p1ou84jb- :

ok

Joshua :

sorry for the delay in reverting to you. Is there any correspondence from you to the landlord in respect of his verbal request for you to receive rent please? Do you think the landlord would accept that he asked you to receive rent?