12826847

I am required to do jury service as of monday and I cannot

Customer Question

I am required to do jury service as of monday and I cannot do it due to immediate financial reasons. I have also been offered a job which requires me to give a start date. They want me to start asap. What credible evidence can I offer to be deferred for a 2nd time. I have been deferred once before but mainly because they sent my summons to an old address. This had to be deferred for that reason!

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Was the other deferral within a 12 month period?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, but it the main reason it was deferred was because I had not received the summons. I cannot afford to take time away from work.

Well, thats a problem Im afraid.

Your employer has to give you time off for jury service. Have they refused to do so?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Its a new employer. They want a start date. I have stated all along to them I have jury service and so therefore cannot give them one. Its make or break. I need this job or I may have serious problems.

Its a difficult situation really. Normally their expectation is that everybody called will serve at the appropriate time.

Its fairly easy to get them to bring jury service forward and you can often get jury service deferred.

You will find the law here

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/23/section/9A

and a second deferral is not within the gift of the officer.

You could always ask for a second deferral. they will probably refuse but it does not harm to ask.

You could probably get them to bring it forward but if that isn't suitable then the only escape is to apply for excusal.

You need to be realistic about that as well. The chances are not high. You will find the law here

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/23/section/9

and economic hardship would be a ground but it would be irresponsible of me to tell you there is a high chance of success.

You can appeal to the Court if the officer decides against you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Today I put forward a case for both hardship and inconvenience long term. Partly on the basis that I had just about been deferred once already. He reluctantly agreed. So I have been defered twice from Jury service and took up my role at believe it or not a manager at London City Hall.

That is interesting. Entirely contrary to their official position.

Glad it worked out.

All the best.