12826847

Hello,this morning recieved a solicitors letter relating to

Customer Question

Hello,this morning recieved a solicitors letter relating to an incident that happened on 7th march. My wife and i were walking our border terrier when it was attacked and injured by another dog during the struggle to separate the dogs the other owner was bitten by one of the dogs.i honestly don't know which dog was responsible for the injury,but as you can imagine the circumstances and struggle involved where quite frightening,the letter describes circumstances that quite frankly are lies. Two witnesses have appeared from nowhere and the other person has apparently spnt two nights in hospital plus stress etc. I phoned the police to report the incident when i got home,but i really don't know what to do next. According to the letter i have 21 days to respond,any advice would be greatly appriciated. Brian, bolton.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi jo,do i need to reply to the solicitors letter and if i do can i relay my anger at the lies that the other owner has told about the incident,there where no witnesses to the incident and it was my dog that was attacked in the first place,i have spent 30 pounds on vets fees and don't think i can afford to employ a solicitor

Are you insured?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't have pet insurance,I'm not sure if my home insurance will cover it.

Your house insurance might cover this. You need to check it as soon as possible.

For future reference though, third party insurance is not expensive. If you become a member of the Dogs Trust its only about £40 a year and it covers you as a member and therefore any dogs under your control.

Its quite unlikely that this person will get very much for this claim at all. I dealt with one a few months ago who was plainly expecting to collect several thousand and my client's insurers settled for a few hundred pounds.

I'm not sure whether you are saying that your dog didn't cause the injury? If your dog did cause the injury then they still have to prove that there had been a previous incident or that you were negligent before they can collect.

Its not a good idea to get involved in correspondence yourself though. if you are insured then just leave this to your insurers to deal with.

If not then give this firm a call on Monday

www.doglaw.co.uk

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do i need to reply to the letter?

Nothing will happen if you do not except that they will proceed with the claim possibly.

If you do respond though then it becomes an opportunity to put your head in the noose so its best to let your insurers or your solicitors deal with it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would i be able to counter claim for the other owners dog attack on my dog and the resulting vet fees

yes, but the test under the Animals Act is the same for them as it is for you.

But yes you could counter claim if you can get over that hurdle.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/