UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My daughter is in court tomorrow & has been told that she will

My daughter is in court tomorrow & has been told that she will be commited to prison for not taking her son to see his father, she moved from MK to London even though the court told her not to because the father was worried about contact. She is the sole carer for her son. The case has been in court for over four years now, he has failed drug tests, not attended a course on domestic abuse, never worked, assalted my daughter and his son, many mote things too. Does the court have the right to commit her to prison. Many thanks. Worried mum & Nan. I think she also has to sigh a gagging order too.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I am afraid the court has the right to send her to prison as disobeying a court order amounts to contempt of court which is a criminal offence.

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Whilst the court has the Power to commit your daughter to court it will not be for a Criminal Offence - it is for the Civil offence of disobeying the Court's direct order
It is a last resort - but I am afraid is very likely if she has persistently and wilfully defied the court
How likely it is that it will happen will depend on the actual circumstances and the approach that your daughter takes