12826847

Although this may be a strange request but am I entitled to

Customer Question

Although this may be a strange request but am I entitled to know if a forum has received a complaint about me. I have had an ongoing issue with an anonymous board where I believe the admin have acted in such a way that they have been informed of and used specific details with out actually identifying me, I.e only details I would know about. So am I entitled legally to know if admins of an Internet forum have received a complaint about me? Thank you.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.
Could you explain your situation a bit more please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The complaint is regards XXXXX XXXXX anonymous Internet forum. In basics I believe that some of my anonymous posts were complained about to administration of the board as the details in the post related to an individual who wanted to establish who was writing the posts (namely me). I suspect that this individual complained to admin of the forum and then the administration breached their authority by lightly using the term stalking my posts. I noticed a pattern occurring and specific answers posted to one sentence posts by me. I contacted the individual concerned by email and had no response. Then specific details relating to my email address I.e linked youtube accounts started to be posted over the forum information I would only know. I attempted to resolve the matter with the forum and in admittance had a mental breakdown over the situation. I have seeker medical attention over the matter. I am now looking to establish if a complaint was actually made and also the breach of tos from the administrations of this Internet forum. I need to establish my legal rights in obtaining this information. Obviously I understand difficulties relating to anonymous forums but I would like advice on how I can obtain information of a complaint about me if it was made to this forum. Thank you can I also add I believe misuse of identification via I.p address has been used by admins.I hope it makes sense and appreciate it may sound very complex.
Ok.

Is there any reason you think you may have a right to know? Is it in the forum rules?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There are very limited rules posted on this forum and I can only see the zetaboard terms of service who are the hosting service for this forum. I am unsure if I would be entitled to know if I am legally entitled to this information therefore this is what I am attempting to establish .
I see what you are asking.

Ultimately an internet forum is a private establishment and they can have any rules that they like unless they offend against the law.

They do not have any obligation to act upon a complaint or to inform you of a complaint if they choose not to do so.

Obviously its in their interests to do so as there is no point in a complaints procedure unless they can be acted upon.

What you could do though is submit a freedom of information request for this information. In fact, they are not bound by the law upon freedom of information as they are not a public body but many private establishments will comply them nevertheless.

For what its worth, I have generally found that if you live on your life on the basis that if you don't hear about any complaints then they have either not been made or any that have been made are without basis then you will not go far wrong.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/