Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

My Husband as obtained my Mobile telephone records without

Customer Question

My Husband as obtained my Mobile telephone records without my consent from my Provider. They agree they are in breech of contract for providing him with them.The contract was in my name only and the bill paid from my account. Is this correct? He as also been reading my Diary and collating information. Is this classed as an invasion of my privacy?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is AJ and I will assist you.

Potentially the Mobile Phone company are in breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 and you should:
1. Make a complaint to the Information Commissioner; ico.org.uk/‎

2. Make a complaint to OFCom their regulator. www.ofcom.org.uk/‎

I am afraid there is no general right to privacy other than the right to a private family life. You will really only have a claim against your husband if he uses the information he has gained for an improper purposes e.g black mail or extortion for example.

You can demand he returns all information he has stolen from you otherwise unless he actually does something with it there is not much else you can do.

AJ