Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I was scalded by a steamer in December during a

I was scalded by a facial steamer in December during a facial at a local beauty college. This left me with scalds, blistering and extreme pain as this hit my face, neck and chest. It took 8 weeks, antibiotic and steroid creams to recover. I have no residual scarring, but a tiny area of capillary breakage turned up about 3 weeks later in the affected area. This caused me to cancel work in the run up to Christmas, and I was in bed for several days because of the pain. I have no fault with the procedures, or indeed the intervention by the first aider. The college did send the machine back to REM and they decided that there was an air bubble in the line which caused it to essentially explode boiling water and steam. Nothing the student or the college did was at fault, and they offered me a replacement facial for £8.50 as an apology. However, I lost work , was ill from this, and I wonder, is there any action that can be taken against the REM company
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

may I ask did you pay for the procedure please?

Joshua :

did you attend your doctor in respect of the injuries suffered?

Customer:

I did not pay for the procedure especially as it wasn't finished. and I did attend my doctor. I do have pictures

Joshua :

thank you. Have you asked your doctor for a copy of your medical report in respect of the injury?

Customer:

I can get it... I didn't... he just prescribed two creams, and asked me to come back if it worsened, or if it infected

Joshua :

thank you. If the clinic used machinery that was faulty albeit through no fault of their own, then you can establish a basis for a claim for personal injury on the basis of negligence on the part of the clinic as they are responsible for the safety of any equipment they use as part of their procedure

Joshua :

you will need to demonstrate that the injury occurred as a consequence of faulty equipment supplied by the clinic and that the faulty equipment caused you injury, pain and suffering in order to establish a basis for compensation. It is also possible to make a claim for lost income that you necessarily incurred as a result of the injury

Customer:

it was a brand new machine, first time used

Customer:

so it would have to go against the college, not the company

Customer:

welcome back...

Customer:

I hate to take it against the college, but that is the only way?

Joshua :

Sorry - Pc is playing up... Please forgive the interruption.

Customer:

as I say, I have some photos, and can get the doctor's report

Joshua :

Sorry - I am going to have to restart machine. Would you bear with me for a couple of minutes?

Joshua :

My apologies. I am back.

Customer:

welcome back....

Customer:

so I have to take action if any against the college, and not REM

Customer:

although this was a new piece of equipment

Joshua :

you can issue a claim for personal injury against the operator of the clinic which from what you say is the college. A claim can be issued for up to 3 years from the date of the accident though in practice it is better to do so sooner rather than later because it is generally simpler to obtain evidence the sooner you issue a claim. a claim can be made for pain and suffering and also in respect of any losses you suffer as a result such as lost income and expenses

Joshua :

there are many legal firms that offer a no win no fee arrangement for personal injury claims which you will find with just a few clicks through Google and you will have likely seen advertised on the television

Customer:

I am sure I could google one.... I don't watch telly

Customer:

Thank you for your information

Joshua :

it would be helpful if you could obtain a copy of your medical report from your doctor as any lawyer you approach will likely wish to see this. in addition, consider retaining any correspondence you have from the college apologising or offering compensation as this can potentially make your claim simpler to pursue

Joshua :

A pleasure. is there anything above I can clarify for you?