A letter of complaint I have written to the Vice Chair of governors

Customer Question

A letter of complaint I have written to the Vice Chair of governors at my child's school has partly been published by the parish priest, who is the chair of Governors, in the church newsletter and quoted on the parish website.
I understand that the person who is sent the letter owns it but have any laws been broken?

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Does it defame you in any way or is it derogatory?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its derogatory, also the way it is written it looks as if I have said things that I havn't. He has also derogatory against women generally

Has he changed the wording or has he published as you wrote it?

In what way is it derogatory?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He has quoted my part verbatim however he has added it on to another paragraph so it looks as if i am responsible for everything in the letter. He then starts to accuse me of dangerous parking. asking if we have to wait for the death of somebody etc a very vague rant.

He starts withe a @go' at women stating some 'other halves want to be more equal than others Again a random vague rant but all in an article aimed at me under the heading Who is next on the hit list.. well it is myself!

Buxton is a small place I live and work here it was more than obvious to many of the parishioners who he was talking about.

You have a potential cause of action in libel if anyone would think that this referred to you and it has been published and it lowers you in the opinion of right-thinking people.

From what you have said, this would appear to satisfy those criteria.

However defamation claims are not easy to bring and whilst they are uncertain at best we also require considerable funding. You will get no change out of £10,000 for even the most basic claim although you will get those costs back if it goes to court and you win.

What you could do is ask a solicitor to write to the perpetrator demanding a full apology, in the same size and format as what he has already published failing which you reserve the right to issue court proceedings.

You can also refer the matter further up his own chain of command as a formal complaint both about the sexist remarks and the derogatory comments against you which you would appear to have done already

Apart from the above, he has not actually broken any laws as such.