12826847

I agreed by email to buy a horse but due to a change in personal

Customer Question

I agreed by email to buy a horse but due to a change in personal circumstances I am not able to buy her anymore. I had agreed to give a deposit, but he has not had that yet. The deposit would have been 200, and the price of the horse 2750. He still has the horse. He is not saying that he will sue me in court to take on the horse. And he wants the 200 deposit as well. All the while he "held" her for me, he still had her advertised on the internet, so I assume it is because he has not been able to sell her. Must I follow through on it and how do I stand.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What is he hoping to sue for ? The full price under the contract?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not really sure what he wants. He wants me to pay him 200 now, but if I pay the deposit, does it not mean that I have agreed to buy the horse? It sounded like that he wanted to sue me for the entire amount, though if that is the case, i guess I would get the horse.

he says he wants compensation for the ad etc, but it was a free ad and he never took it down.

I would just ignoring. He has no realistic claim against you.

Obviously you did agree to purchase this horse and failing to do so was a breach of contract for which you are liable. However, he can only claim the sum of his loss and he still has the horse to sell to another so his losses are difficult to ascertain.

I suppose that he might get, in academic law, the cost of feeding the horse and other upkeep.

What he's trying to do it would seem is force you to purchase the horse and he has no basis to do so in law.

If he turns up at the house behaving aggressively then just call the police who will be delighted to do some real police work and deal with this matter as opposed to attending at stupid childish domestic squabbles and neighbour disputes which amounts to the bulk of the nonsense that people report.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I should just not reply to his email at all?

You can do but it will only lead to a response.

It doesn't do any harm to email back saying that you do not believe you are liable and inviting him to sue if he disagrees.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/