tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

Hi We have been having an issue with our neighbours for

We have been having an issue with our neighbours for the last 12 months whereby they have been alleging that our dogs are a nuisance and spend up to 10 hours a day barking. At no point have they been to speak to us about this but instead have notified all and sundry of the issue via facebook and have been to our landlord to advise him that they have an issue. This resulted in us being told that unless this was resolved we would need to leave the property.

Last month we had a letter from the council advising us that we were under investigation for nuisance caused by the dogs. We have now spent over £1000 on CCTV, dog collars, anti bark devices and various other methods to stop barking - incidentally they hardly bark at all and are never left for more than 7 hours straight.

Today we have been told that the case has been closed as it is clear that this is a malicious situation and the evidence is not there to support their claims.

We would like to send a letter to them asking them to cease and dessist as this is becoming harrasment. I would point out that at no point have they spoken to us and if they even see us they run away indoors.

Can you please advise what our recourse is - as we want them to know that we will not tolerate this any longer. We feel victimised in our own homes.
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hi there, thanks for your question.

tdlawyer :

My name isXXXXX can assist with this.

tdlawyer :

Has this been going on for the whole 12 months?

tdlawyer :

Hello.

Customer:

Customer:

Yes it has with varying degrees of contact. We spent the first two months going and checking with them on a weekly basis to see if there was an improvement and they said there was - it came as a complete surprise to us last month to hear the issue was ongoing.

tdlawyer :

OKay and have they consulted with lawyers or taken active steps to address what they say as an issue?

Customer:

they have been to the council and had us investigated which has now been closed down as malicious

tdlawyer :

Hi - I see you rated bad service, is this because I have not responded to you? If so, my apologies, but I am not here all day every day as I have clients I have to attend to and meetings to go to.

tdlawyer :

I would like to finish off my answer for you.

tdlawyer :

In essence, you could consider reporting this matter to the police, as harassment is now a criminal offence. This does seem like it could consititute harassment and it might be something that police would be willing to become involved in for you. At least, what they're likely to do is warn your neighbours that if they want to seriously challenge you, then they should do so formally, but things in writing and then instruct solicitors if they need to. Constantly bardgering you to do things you don't need to do could amount to harassment and you could, if you wished, consider issuing a claim in the county court for an injunction to prevent them from continuing to harass you. However, if the police act, then there would be no need to consider county court proceedings.

tdlawyer :

Does this answer your question? I should be here for the rest of the evening if you wish to ask me more questions.

Customer: Him
tdlawyer :

Customer: Hi. Thank you for this response. We will liaise with the police as a first course of action
tdlawyer :

Okay. That's a good idea. I'm sorry you felt the need to leave a negative rating earlier, that was the last thing I wanted.

tdlawyer :

Would you like me to focus on anything more for you?

tdlawyer :

Is there anything more I can assist with?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you ... We are on the right track now. We will speak to the police and take it from there!

Many thanks.

Very satisfied now
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.
I'm pleased to hear you're very satisfied now. Again, thank you very much.

Good luck resolving this.

I hope you feel able to leave a better rating now.

Tony