29905560

If an Employee of a Housing Association relates a conversation

If an Employee of a Housing Association relates a conversation in a tenant's home to another tenant, is this breaking the Data Protection Act?
Thank you very much for your time.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What was the nature of the conversation?

Customer:

A conversation between the employee of our Housing Assocation in which I mentioned that another tenant was in receipt of Housing and Council Tax Benefit whilst owning a caravan which in the summer months nets him £1,000 per week. This particular tenant has let me know that my conversation was relayed to him.

Ben Jones :

So everything here was done verbally?

Customer:

Yes it was.

Ben Jones :

This is not a data protection issue. The Data Protection Act only deals with personal information about a living individual, which is held on a relevant filing system. First of all the information here was not about you so you cannot raise any complaint about it not being kept confidential. Secondly, this was not information which was kept on a relevant filing system, it was all done verbally, so it will not be protected under the DPA in any way. The employee has not breached any data protection laws in this case.

Customer:

Thank you for that Ben.

Customer:

Have a good day.

Ben Jones :

You are most welcome, all the best