Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

Hello My father in law at 87 has been diagnosed as suffering

Customer Question

My father in law at 87 has been diagnosed as suffering with asbestosis. The doctors have recommended he claim but have not provided details of where to write and I am certain there must be a direct route, rather than the many claims handlers who charge 25% of the claim if successful. Can you provide an address>

Peter Butcher
Expert:  Kasare replied 3 years ago.
Hi thank you for your question, I will assist you with this.

The government do have a scheme which is a one off lump sum payment for someone depending upon their circumstances, however, if they came into contact with this through their employers (if not MOD) then they may have to pursue a civil claim.

May I ask is this the particular route you were thinking of?
Do you know how your father in law was exposed to asbestos?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The medics think he could have contracted it in his early twenties whilst an electrician and working on site. He had a number of employers so it would be difficult to name a particular one. It seems a one off payment is what the doctors were referring to.

Thanks for your prompt response.

PB

Expert:  Kasare replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the information Peter.

I believe based on what you have said, the doctor is referring to the government scheme. For someone over the age of 77 at diagnosis, if they fall within the eligibility criteria, then they would receive a lump sum payment of £12,945.

This is the link to the government site which will assist you - https://www.gov.uk/diffuse-mesothelioma-payment/overview - and this is the link to the claim form - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/255949/pwc1_print.pdf.

You do not need to use a claims management company but please be aware that sometimes initial claims are rejected - for no good reason - so you must ensure that if this happens you push further.

I hope this assists.

If there is anything else I can assist you with on this matter, please ask.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks for your assistance.

I'll give it a go.

Peter

Expert:  Kasare replied 3 years ago.
Good luck! I hope it works out well.