29905560

I have been employed by my company for 14 years and the past

Customer Question

I have been employed by my company for 14 years and the past six years I was based in Dubai. I was asked to return from Dubai at short notice in November 2013 and I informed them that I would be liable to pay a whole years tax if I did so. They did not offer me any advice and or agree to any terms and conditions of me staying here since, but they were informed of the situation and I was concerned to only have had two weeks notice with no forward planning. I was also made aware that I have not had my pension paid into for many months although this should have been the case. I developed a severe depression four months ago and I have been to see a GP for prescribed anti-depressants although my company have continued to pay me. They have now contacted my partner in the UK to see 'what deal can be made' and I am concerned to have some understanding of what I can negotiate. As stated previously, I have worked for company for many years. It is privately owned and recently restructured. I believe that the company wish to terminate my employment although they have not provided me with a coherent reason why apart from saying that I have not communicated with them which is only since I stopped acting on their behalf in November and I have proof of depression which the company have ignored and hence continued to place unrealistic expectation on me. Writing to me most recently requesting I either travel to UK and or Germany for a meeting and only giving me seven days notice. They invited me to bring a 'trusted person' meaning my partner who her self is a professional working for Local Government and who could not have been expected to make such arrangements at short notice. They subsequently called her 'off the record' and suggested a deal be struck. Please advise

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you have a specific question about this?

JACUSTOMER-x5rk1gjv- :

Yes Hi. I wondered if there are any grounds on which I could negotiate under unfair dismissal, the company claims they would have offered me a post in UK had I returned but the details were never explained and I was at risk of being stuck with extortionate tax bill after being posted abroad for nearly six years. I was reluctant to come back without terms and conditions being made clear.

Ben Jones :

Apologies for the slight delay, I experienced some temporary connection issues earlier on. All seems to be resolved now so I can continue with my advice. Did you have a relocation clause in your contract?

JACUSTOMER-x5rk1gjv- :

not that I am aware of

JACUSTOMER-x5rk1gjv- :

Could we resume the conversation tomorrow when I may be able to check a few more details?

Ben Jones :

Yes no problem, I may be engaged first thing but should be here in the afternoon, thanks