Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I was staying in a flat I found on airbnb.com however, we decided

Customer Question

I was staying in a flat I found on airbnb.com however, we decided to pay off the site by me wiring money to her. It was no problem, I moved in and everything seemed great. A few days later I went away for the weekend and The owner shot me an email saying "hey, by the way I'm stopping by the flat in a bit to pick some stuff up" and I didn't think anything of it. I had cleaned and everything...well, She e-mails me a little later saying how I was in her medicine cabinet/toiletries and that she would like an extra 4,000 deposited into my account if I want to continue my stay... and I was like "I really don't have that kind of money right now...I'm only here a month that security deposit it more than any other security I saw on the site itself..." Well, she didn't respond and the next thing i know she's calling me saying when I get back I must move out as since I had gone through her toiletries/medicine cabinet ( i had cut my toe and was looking for a bandaid) and that I took one of her jackets with me to paris. I said, "hey, look- It was just an accident, I didn't think anything would be wrong. I was coming back in 2 days and i'm sorry I didn't think you'd mind..." she had left 99% of her things in the flat so I was very careful to keep my things in my designated area. Well, I finally get back to the flat, we speak and she's saying there's no way I can stay, she made me take as much as i could and go to a hotel. She said I could keep the rest of my things here for a few days and then I can come and collect them. Well, that was saturday, and I can't get in touch with her for me to get the rest of my things. I've been nothing but nice and polite to her and I can't help but feel screwed over. I'm 19 and I feel she completely tried to pull one over on me because I'm much younger. I'd like your opinion as to how I should proceed...

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How much did this cost you?

How much have you lost if anything?

What are you looking to do?

Where do you live?

Where is the flat?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It cost me 4,000 USD I'm from New York and it looks like i'm going to lose the 4,000...it's in Notting Hill... and I'm really not sure what to do. Just looking for some advice.

Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I clarify that you agreed a month letting of the flat please? If this is correct what was the rent and what was the deposit?