How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70105
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hello, I received a parking ticket for parking in a bay where

Customer Question

I received a parking ticket for parking in a bay where the meter was not functioning. I tried with many coins, they all fell straight through the meter.
My appeal was rejected on the basis that no other member of the public complained to the council.
The meter in question was defective again two weeks later and this time a warden witnessed myself and another "Parker" struggling with the same issue. The warden expressed that the machine was known to be unreliable.
Feeling indignant I have refused to pay and have now received a bailiffs letter, how do I stand please?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Who is the issuer please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI Jo,

Shropshire Parking Services issued the penalty notice.

Bristow & Sutor are the Civil Enforcement Agents




Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
thank you.

Are you asking if they can enforce this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I suppose I am.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.

I'm afraid that I cannot give you any good news.

If this is a fine issued by Shropshire Borough Council then it is a proper parking fine and if the adjudicator has found against you on the point, either following a live hearing or consideration of the papers, then this can be enforced and they can use bailiffs if necessary.

I note that this has already been passed to bailiffs which will rack up the cost of this fine unfortunately.

If all you have received is a bailiffs letter then this can still be settled quite cheaply but if you do not pay the full amount then in the end bailiffs will attend and unfortunately they will claim their fees from you.

I'm very sorry but I have to give you truthful information.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is anything else you need to know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok Thanks for that.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice