Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I have just bought a house in London and it turns out the electrics

I have just bought a house in London and it turns out the electrics are complete danger to us so have had to be closed down. After a full inspection we have had to get some emergency, safe sockets put in for us in the mean time.
It turns out the whole house has been wired illegally and is extremely dangerous.
Question - do I have any case to start litigation under the fact that the house is dangerous and has been illegally wired.
(Bearing in mind I only did a simple mortgage valuation survey and not a full survey).
Surely the vendor should have disclosed this information?

Many thnaks for your advice on this.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I am afraid that unless the Seller has lied about the electrics (ie provided false certificates), then you have no right to sue the Seller.

This is because you buy the property as you find it, and it is up to a Buyer to satisfy themselves as to the state and condition of the property before committing themselves.

Although you would have thought that the Seller was aware of the danger, he/she was not under any duty to disclose this to you. It is very much a case of "Caveat Emptor"- Let the Buyer beware.
As you had only a Mortgage Valuation Report, it may or may not have recommended that the electrics be checked, but as the Valuation is for the benefit of the Lender, you have no comeback under this either.

I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but it sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards
AL