75100385

I was issued a ccj for non payment of a school bill of £8000

I was issued a ccj for non payment of a school bill of £8000 in jan because my ex husband did not inform the school that my son was not joining and we were issued a ccj. My ex pays all the school bills. He has done and it is stated on a consent order issued in 2006 that it is his responsibility to do so. My ex took away my son from me in 2011 in a bitter custody battle but in the summer of 2013 social services got involved after my ex was found drunk and arrested for animal cruelty and my son came back to live with me. He was the one who arranged my sons new school in Berkshire, i had no say over it and never even went to see the school, he was the driving force and all i did was sign to give consent of him attending. I did not want him even to go to that school as he should have been living with me, but in the end he was taken away to live back with me and now i have a ccj against me for it. Im in a very difficult place and am in need of some advice please.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Did you file a defence please ?
Customer:

No I didn't. I panicked and tried but i was so overwhelmed by the process, i didn't even understand the questions when i went to fill in the form, the court makes it very difficult with difficult questions that i did not understand. I didn't know where to turn to for advice. I have spent tens of thousands on lawyers bills to date as my ex, who is currently suffering from a mental and physical breakdown and was a lawyer/barrister, has put me into very difficult circumstances over the past and now i have a panic towards lawyers and i breakdown into nerves. Im in a complete mess because of him, mainly because he is bitter about us splitting up so many years ago and in spite has made my life very difficult as he is a very cleaver man (he is a top hedge funds lawyer) and i am not that intelligent so i really struggle.

Alex Watts :

Did you sign the contract for the school?

Customer:

Sorry Alex did not see your reply.

Customer:

Yes I did

Customer:

But my son would not have been accepted by the school with only one signature, even though i was against him attending that school i feel compelled by my ex, and it would have been very difficult for me to have declined

Alex Watts : Sadly you are liable for the debt,
Alex Watts : However you do have a case against your ex for the amount owing.
Alex Watts : Ideally what you should have done when the ccj was issued is defend it and bring your husband in as a defendant.
Alex Watts : But sadly the ccj has been issued,
Alex Watts : All you can do at this stage is issue proceedings against your ex in the county court for the debt.
Alex Watts : Whilst you are liable, you can claim the costs from him.
Alex Watts : I know this may not be the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer:

Thank you ALex. I think I should say to my ex this but he will always defend himself and blames me. But i think its best if we both try to resolve this instead of going back to court.

Customer:

On another note, I was issued a ccj in my favour in 2009 for £6000 but was told by my ex that it would be impossible to recover this, could i still do so today?

Alex Watts : No, you have 6 years to make a claim.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything else?
Customer:

Can you recommend anyone who can chase the claim for me, its for non payment of rent i had on a rental property. DO i use a solicitor?

Alex Watts :

You can do this yourself, it would be a small claim:

Alex Watts :

www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Alex Watts :

Does this help?

Customer:

Many thanks Alex, kind regards.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

Customer:

I will thanks Alex, you have been great. And if i need you again i wont hesitate to get in touch.

Alex Watts :

Thanks. Have a good weekend.

Alex Watts :

Please dont forget to leave feedback before you go