Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

We are a charity that has meetings open to the public. We have

We are a charity that has meetings open to the public. We have CCTV that covers the room the meetings are held in and we have CCTV notices at the entrance of the building and in the room. We would like to make audio recordings of the meeting so we can have accurate minutes. We notice you can record at council meetings. Can we make audio recrdings of our won meetings
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I ask if you propose to record so as to capture what the attendees at the meeting say or just the main panel please?

Customer:

It will be all attenders

Joshua :

Joshua :

The Information Commissioners advice in this respect is that audio recordings should not be made unless there is a justifiable reason to do so. Recording minutes for a public meeting would amount to a justifiable reason however it is important if you intend to proceed with this that you update your signs to indicate the extent of audio recording that is in place and the reasons it is being recorded and the address which individuals can contact to obtain a copy should they wish to do so.

Joshua :

The audio recording should go no further than is necessary in order to record what is publicly said at the meeting - i.e. it should not be so sensitive so as to pick up comments between attendees that were not intended for public record - e.g. one person whispering something to another.

Joshua :

In addition your signs should clearly indicate the extent of audio recording - e.g. which areas of the room have microphones for recording so attendees know where they are being recorded and where not.

Joshua :

Is there anything above I can clarify for you any further?

Joshua :

Does the above answer all your questions or is there anything I can clarify or help with any further?

Joshua :

Are you happy with the information I have provided to you above or is there anything above I can clarify for you any further?

Joshua :

If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to rate my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with though please reply back to me though.

Customer: