UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I act as insurance broker for my client. In 2012 a Household

Customer Question

I act as insurance broker for my client. In 2012 a Household Proposal form was completed through Nelson Policies at Lloyds requesting Accidental Damage cover on both Buildings & Contents.
In 2014 a claim was subsequently received for accidental gamage to a bathroom sink. The insurers have declined the claim on the basis that accidental damage was never included within the policy.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

What is your query please and was additional premium paid to the insurers for the accidental damage cover add on? Did the insurer confirm the add on accidental damage cover?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Accidental damage was requested in the original our presentation to Nelson Policies by email on the 31/5/2012.

A premium was agreed with Nelson Policies & cover was incepted on the 6/6/2012.

On the 22/7/2012 a Proposal form was completed by the client on which Accidental damage was ticked for both Buildings & Contents, this form was subsequently emailed by ourselves to Nelson Policies on the 26/7/2012.

At no stage did Nelson Policies state that Accidental Damage was not included.

Copies of all correspondence are available.

Thank you. It does seem that the insurer should honour the accidental cover claim in that case.

I would suggest that a formal complaint be lodged with the insurer about refusing the claim incorrectly and if this doesn't help, to take the matter further to the financial ombudsman.

Hope this helps