UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I pay the mortgage on the house i live in but the property

I pay the mortgage on the house i live in but the property is in my girl friends name. It is an ex council house so my girlfriends contribution to the purchase was her tenants discount which amountedto£35000.
I sold a property And contributed the equity from the sale and my parents contributed another £35000. Which was used to enlarge the property from a 3 to a 5 bedroomed house. Our relationship has now ended and I am concerned as to what my position would be legally with regard to the money I have put into the house.
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

How much money do you think your contribution (including your parents') amounts to towards the property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

£50000 approx.

A resulting trust has arisen in your favour as you have contributed to the purchase price of the property although you are not listed on the mortgage or the deeds.

You should ask your ex to either pay you this money or to hold it in trust for you until such a time as the property is sold or she is able to pay the money to you.

You may read more about this here

http://www.ukessays.com/essays/property/land-property-rights.php

Hope this helps