75100385

is a husband liable for his wifes debt to DWP which was incurred

is a husband liable for his wifes debt to DWP which was incurred before marriage ?
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

No.

Even if you were married in any event you would not be liable for your wifes debt.

Her debt is her debt and not yours, unless it was a joint claim.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the debt was for overpayment of benefits claimed by the wife whilst they were living together before marriage. wife has been repaying this but is worried that the husbands income will be taken into account now for future repayments.

No.

If it was the wifes claim it is the wifes debt.

Nothing to do with husband.

Does this help?