12826847

My dog hurt another dog by getting through our broken fence

My dog hurt another dog by getting through our broken fence and through another fence to a neighbours garden and attacked their dog. Their dog was cut quite badly and we took their dog to the vets and paid 250 pounds at the time towards the treatment. Now the police are involved and they have interviewed the neighbours and now i have to go for a formal interview with the police but they have told me it is not a criminal case but it will be a taped interview. Should i have a lawyer present at this interview and what can i expect as i have never been in trouble with the police ever in my life and quite worried at this time. Can you advise?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well what action will the police look at taking on a civil case as they saidthey are not pursuing a criminal case and do i need a lawyer present for a formal interview?

They will either suggest something like a voluntary responsible ownership agreement or complain to the Magistrates Court under the Dogs Act 1871 and seek a control order governing the way in which your dog is to be kept.

If this is a dog on dog attack then the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 does not apply and so it is not a criminal matter.