Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Hi My question is about property law and it involves "lease

My question is about property law and it involves "lease holders" becoming "freeholders" and how their rights and leases are affected.
My mother bought the downstairs flat in a purpose built maisonette as a lease hold property along with my father,now deceased,some thirty years ago,she has since become the joint owner of the freehold of this property along with the other lessee of the upstairs property.My question is what are her rights and obligations as well as that do the original leases keep running and how do both parties go about extending them if they need to. Any other information regarding the joint freehold/leasehold law and general advice would be gratefully received
Many Thanks Dave
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

The Leases for each Flat do still continue and all the covenants and rights contained in the Leases still apply, apart from the need to pay any ground rent.

Despite your Mother owning the Freehold jointly with her neighbour, her right to remain in her property comes from her Lease, and this will always be the case.

As regards XXXXX XXXXX Leases, which is a good idea, this can be done quite easily by both your Mother and her neighbour granting a Lease extension in respect of both properties. Your Mother will of course need the co-operation of her neighbour to do this, but it would be in his best interest to extend his Lease also.
The Lease extension can be for any term, but would normally be for an additional 99 years or can be more.
Provided he is happy to proceed, a local Conveyancing Solicitor would need to be instructed to prepare the Lease extensions for each Flat.
The Lease extensions are then signed and registered at the Land Registry.

I hope this assists, but please let me know if you require any further clarification.

Kind Regards
AL

Hi Dave,

Can I be of any more assistance to you?

Kind Regards
AL