LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

My boundary wall to my bungalow was half demolished by a car

Customer Question

My boundary wall to my bungalow was half demolished by a car driver losing control of his vehicle and he has admitted liability. Also have consequential damage to one alloy wheel on my car due to the wall falling on it. The driver has said he doesn't want to go through his vehicle insurance, and will rectify the damage at his own expense. The matter has not been reported to the police or my household insurance company.My questions are: should I report the incident, and to whom? Also if the driver effects repairs to what standard must they be?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 25 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

When you say boundary wall I take it that you do not mean a wall to your house. Do you know how much damage has been caused in monetary terms?

Customer:

Hello, yes it is a boundary wall not attached to house. Length 20 feet x 34 inches high of single brick. 8 feet of which has been demolished leaving 12 feet standing. I have had no quotes for the work as it only happened yesterday

LondonlawyerJ :

I can see why the driver wants to avoid the involvement of insurers as his premiums would rise as a result of this. You run some risks here if you do not inform you insurers as generally insurance contracts are contracts of the utmost good faith and if you do anything other than notify them immediately of a potential claim then it may be difficult for you to use them at a later date if the driver fails to deliver on his promises. You should check your household insurance documents to see if this damage is covered and also to see what the contract specifies about notification of potential claims. This will be a judgement call for you to make I suspect once you have clarified the position in the contract. The risk you run of not involving the insurers early is that if it goes wrong they may refuse to help you later. If you involve them when potentially you may not you need to, then you run the risk of putting up the premiums. You could always ring your insurers and ask about his without giving your details. It would also be worth getting some quotes to see how much repairs would cost as then you can better weigh the different risks.

LondonlawyerJ :

As for the quality of repairs that is a matter of negotiation between you and him if you deal directly with him but at the minimum a good workmanlike quality restoring to what was there before is surely required.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No problem