12826847

Does an obligation to repair, in property law, include replacement

Does an obligation to repair, in property law, include replacement if repair is no longer feasible?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Residential property held on long lease, with freeholder responsible for structure and for repairing doors and windows.

If there is an obligation to repair them, that is definitive. They must be repaired.

If the cost of repair is economically not viable, then it is implied that they could be replaced because presumably the landlord does not want to spend more on repair than replacing.

Technically, anything can be repaired even if 99.9% of it needs to be replaced, the only argument therefore is that it is not economical to repair.

That is not a problem for the tenant but one for the landlord.

If that was not the case, as soon as the windows etc became really bad, the landlord could argue that they were no longer repairable and could let them fall out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. All that time at evening classes, me that is, was not wasted!!

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/