How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ash Your Own Question

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

In April 2013 I paid a deposit of £450 for an apartment rental

Resolved Question:

In April 2013 I paid a deposit of £450 for an apartment rental in Tenerife. It was done via Holiday Lettings website - and the apartment was rented out by HolidaysInApartments.
The holiday was to have been in January 2014.
I heard nothing back by early December 2013 when the balance was due and after making enquiries -discovered that the apartment was no longer available and that HolidaysInApartments had ceased using Holiday Lettings website in the summer; additionally HolidaysInApartments had had a " revamp" and that part of it had moved away from the original company - though still part of the Feriae Umberella company (Complicated)
However the Agent said they were to get me alternative - fine - however kept putting me off. I then received request to pay the balance via PayPal - which I did not do as things did not seem right. After much deliberation they said did I wish to cancel - if so under circumstances could have a refund. I have E mail to this effect . Later was then was told by one of their Managers that it was not their policy to refund.
Alternative was that I could use the deposit for a future booking with them
I gave them dates and areas that would be suitable - however still nothing.
(On the strength of them saying I could have a refund I booked alternative accommodation in January) as had flights etc booked.
Think I have been more than patient - so please advise if I could recoup this money through the Small Claims Court - Regards XXXXX XXXXX
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Is the company you paid based in the uk please?

The Feriae Experior Group is not - however there is an Ashford Branch/Office whom I have spoken to (Tel XXXXXXXXXXX

Alex Watts : But who did you pay? The uk branch or offshore?
Alex Watts : How did you pay for the deposit?

I paid through PayPal to the Feriae Group

Alex Watts : Did you raise a dispute with paypal?

No - Because PayPal will only deal with disputes within 3 Months of payment - and this problem did not come to light until December (I paid deposit in April)

Alex Watts : Ok.
Alex Watts : In that case you can sue but you need to sue the company you paid.
Alex Watts : There of the Feriae Group have a uk branch you can sue that,
Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

Is that possible seeing as the Feriae Group are Spanish based ?

Alex Watts : If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
Alex Watts : Yes, you can sue and get a European enforcement order, they are part of the EU
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce. If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.


Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice