13262538

Hi, Me and my wife are Romanian citizens, but got married

Customer Question

Me and my wife are Romanian citizens, but got married in Manchester in January 2011. We have no common assets. We currently live and work in the UK.

Now we would both like to divorce in Romania, due to much more simple procedures and costs compared to UK.

The Romanian divorce will be made using a public notary (this procedure was introduced in 2011) and we'll also get a "financial agreement" document from there, which will basically say that none of us wants anything materially from the other one in the future.

I have a few questions:
1. Will the divorce completed in Romania be recognized in the UK? (we'll have the divorce decree translated and apostilled);
2. Do we need to register the divorce with the UK authorities? Or the translated/apostilled document will be "as good as" a UK divorce?
3. Is it possible to get a "clean break order" from a UK court *before* the divorce begins?
4. Is a "financial separation" paper/contract, made by a solicitor before the divorce proceeds, worth anything?
5. Will the Romanian"financial break" order be recognized in the UK, much like a "clean break order", or do we need to obtain a "clean break order" in the UK after the divorce?

I would prefer a itemised response.

Many thanks.
Do either of you have assets here in the UK?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

Thanks for your response.

The only asset I have in the UK is my car, worth around £2,000, maybe less. I also have around 11K in an ISA account, not sure if it counts as an asset.

Other than that, no. Please note that we both fully agree not to ask for anything from the other partner (lump sums, spouse maintenance, etc.).

Also, we have no children.

Thanks!

In that case
1. Yes it will
2. No need to do this - and no process which allows it you just use the Romanian paperwork
3. No - such orders can only be made within UK divorce proceedings
4. It could be useful but there is no absolute need
5. The Romanian Order will suffice
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks!

HI
You are most welcome I hope all goes well