12826847

Ive got embroiled with a builder whom I suspect of ripping

Customer Question

I've got embroiled with a builder whom I suspect of ripping me off. I've paid a£14000 up front for, among other things, roof repairs. He now insists I need a new roof, which I doubt (it's only 25 years old.) I've told him I won't pay any more. He's put back the ridge tiles which he'd removed to be replaced by new ones, as I instructed. He now says he'll have to remove them again if he finds them to be unsafe, leaving me with a leaking roof. Can he do this, and if so what are my rights in ensuring the integrity of my roof?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Sorry but why has he ever taken them off?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He was to replace them with new ones (which I've paid for?

I would invite another builder around immediately because I suspect he will not agree with what has been said.

You need another expert to look at the roof and the work to see whether it is necessary or unnecessary

Also contact trading standards immediately because this will interest them.

Ridge tiles simply do not need replacing after 25 years although they may need re-pointing.

Even if he put ridge tiles on the roof and you had not paid for them, he is not entitled to remove them and if he tries, call the police. That is criminal damage.

Anything which has been attached to a building becomes part of the building and even if you have not paid to the tiles, they now belong to you.

Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.