75100385

a letter from my consultant psychiatrist to my GP, clearly

Customer Question

a letter from my consultant psychiatrist to my GP, clearly addressed and marked Private and Confidential was wrongly delivered to a private address by the Royal Mail, whereupon it was opened. This letter contained very sensitive information pertaining to me and is an outrageous breach of my confidentiality. I have complained to the Post Office escalation team demanding some form of compensation, do I have a case?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Was the address similar please?

Alex Watts :

What loss have you suffered as a result?

JACUSTOMER-kll7h0kw- :

a: not to my knowledge

JACUSTOMER-kll7h0kw- :

b: my confidentiality and dignity

Alex Watts :

Sadly I don't think you have a case against Royal Mail.

Alex Watts :

Whilst I agree they should not have delivered the letter to the wrong address.

Alex Watts :

But then the person receiving it you would have thought should have noticed it was not for them and put it back in the post

Alex Watts :

They should not have opened it

Alex Watts :

So whilst mistakes can happen with post I do not think you have a case against Royal Mail as the receiver should not have opened it

Alex Watts :

I know this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-kll7h0kw- :

I'm still going to pursue this as the letter was clearly addressed to the Health Care Centre

Alex Watts :

Yes indeed.

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you please?

JACUSTOMER-kll7h0kw- :

not really, thanks for your time

Alex Watts :

I am sorry its not better news, but I have to be truthful.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/