75100385

My garage is owed money for vehicle repairs. The vehicle is

My garage is owed money for vehicle repairs. The vehicle is in our possession. Can we sell the vehicle under a mechanic's lien recover what we are owed, without having to go to court.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : How much is owed? Is there a contract that says you can sell it please?
Customer:

Alex, thanks for response. The amount owed is $7,500. The vehicle is worth a little more than that. There job card does not mention any right to sell - we will get this changed (but that's a different issue). There is no statutory right just common law.

Alex Watts :

You have a legal lien on the vehicle for the parts used.

Alex Watts :

Together you have a common law right

Alex Watts :

You need to write to the owner and give 28 days to cough up or say you are going to sell.

Alex Watts :

Make sure this is hand delivered or signed for so you have a record.

Alex Watts :

If they do not get back to you or payment by installments then you can sell the vehicle

Alex Watts :

But you needed to have given adequate notice

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Many thanks Alex, that's fine