13262538

I have lived with my partner for over. 7 years in his house.

I have lived with my partner for over. 7 years in his house. Since I moved in I've paid for everything apart from the mortgage. We have a lot of animals which I also pay for including all vets bills, food etc. I've never been too bothered about the fact that the mortgage is in his band only but I attempted to speak to him about it recently as he works abroad in a fairly risky job. I told him I was worried about what would happen to me and all the animals should anything happen to him. I told him it wasn't about money as it was about security. I told him to try and imagine how awful it'd be losing him then faced with losing the home we'd chosen together. He wouldn't talk to me about it and got angry. I have lately got the feeling that he'll leave everything he owns to his grown up children. He's obsessed with keeping them happy just lately and I think they resent me.

I've spent a lot of money on improvements/decorating and pay any tradesmen we may need such as builders, electricians, plumbers etc.

What can I do? I'm not content to keep spending my hard earned money on our home if he sees it as his not ours and intends to leave everything I've worked for to his children. I am thinking about ending the relationship as I don't think I'm important to him anymore. Am I entitled to get anything back that I've put in to enable me to move myself and my animals. I earn a good living but I need "set up" funds if I leave for 5 horses, 2 dogs and myself
How much have you spent on any structural alterations or improvements to the property?
How much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's difficult to say how much I've spent without going over 7 years worth of bank statements but at a quick tally it is around £20,000 on decorating and improvements alone.

I believe the mortgage is one of those where you pay the interest, not a repayment. The property was bought for £450,000 7 years ago. He put a deposit of £70,000 down. The property won't have increased much. Best guess is around £470,000
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, sorry I've just seen a valuation he had done in January of this year for £457,488
What improvements have you paid for
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Over £10,000. I can prove it as I pay by cheque or card for everything
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello, this seems to be taking a long time. I'm not interested in how much money I can get, just if I have any rights, any entitlement.
Andrea
My apologies for the delay
As a cohabitee you have no automatic rights on separation for help in moving on
HOWEVER the fact that you have made a financial contribution to structural improvements to the property (not just decorating) does give you a financial claim on the property itself - and you could trade that for a lump sum to allow you to move on.
It is not a massive claim - but neither is is just a matter of getting your £10,000 back - ask for more!
You can read more about TOLATA claims here
http://www.crippslink.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=718:cohabitation-a-review-of-the-trusts-of-land-and-appointment-of-trustees-act-1997&catid=32:property-disputes&Itemid=537
I should also mention that although you are right to be concerned about what happens if he dies paradoxically you would have more rights if he did as you could make a claim against the estate!
Please ask if you need further details - i am at a meeting during the day today but am free of courts!