Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My son and daughter in law, with their two young children will

Customer Question

My son and daughter in law, with their two young children will have to leave their privately rented home after three years as their landlord wishes to sell the property. Can anything be done?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

To enable me to answer you fully, could you please let me know if their Tenancy is due to expire shortly? Has the Landlord served any formal Notice that he wishes them to vacate?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the delay.

It seems that no notice to vacate has been served as yet. The landlord says that the house is likely to be put up for auction.

Hi again,

Thanks for your reply.

The Landlord is free to sell the property BUT any Buyer takes the property, subject to the Tenancy agreement in favour of your Son and Daughter in law. From your Son's point of view, nothing changes, other than they would pay their rent to the new Landlord.

The new Landlord can NOT terminate their Tenancy, just because he is the new owner. So, your Son is entitled to remain living in the property for whatever period is left on the Tenancy Agreement. It might well be that any new Landlord will be happy to enter into a further Tenancy Agreement with your Son once the existing one ends, but I can't of course say this for sure.

I hope this assists and answers your question.

Kind Regards

AL

Hi Gerry,

Can I be of any more assistance to you?

Kind Regards
AL
Hi Gerry,

Can I be of any more assistance to you?

Kind Regards
AL