Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I live at Number 2 cottage Coton House Rugby CV23 0AR, this

Customer Question

I live at Number 2 cottage Coton House Rugby CV23 0AR, this was an estate owned by Royal Mail and was sold to a development company around 2 years ago. I moved on site around 15 years ago at the request of my employers Royal Mail who wanted someone on site although it was not a tied house to the job, I pay a much smaller rent because of this.
When the site was sold my neighbours were given a new lease for one year with a proviso of one months notice. After that I was not given this as my rental was different having been done before they used solicitors to confirm the legal parts, the Royal Mail people that came to visit me said they leave it as it was.
A few weeks ago a letter was put in my letterbox saying they want me and my neighbours out in two months time they have not even spoken to me or my neighbours about this. It seems from rumour they want to knock down the houses to rebuild other housing.
I am 65 retired and do not have funds for a long draw out case I am quite willing to go if they are correct but people have said I would be better off to consult a solicitor.
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

from what I understand, you moved into the house when you are an employee of Royal mail and you received a discount on what would be the market rent for the property as part of your employment. Is this correct please?

Joshua :

Do I understand correctly that you are no longer employed by Royal mail but continue to pay rent to them at the rate you agreed when you were an employee?

JACUSTOMER-uvaesjn8- :

Yes, I have retired and the rent has not changed with the new owners. The rent was not part of my wage it was a agreed rent by a local manager so I was on site to help in case of emergency's.

Joshua :

thank you. based upon what you say, your tenancy is likely to be known as a service tenancy - namely that you occupied the property at a reduced rent by virtue of your contract of employment with your employer

Joshua :

the amount of notice you are entitled to may have been included within your contract of employment but in default of which, would be equivalent to the length of rent period - for example, if you pay your rent monthly, one month or if you pay quarterly, three months and so on

Joshua :

you cannot be forcibly removed from the property and notwithstanding your right to the above minimum notice in writing, if you refuse to leave, the landlord must obtain a possession order from the County court which will take between six and 10 weeks

Joshua :

...sometimes longer.

Joshua :

even then, the landlord would have to obtain a warrant the bailiffs to remove you which would take another two weeks or more typically

Joshua :

unfortunately, beyond the above rights, service tenant does not have any significant security of tenure in their property and the landlord can recover possession by giving the appropriate length of notice as above.

Joshua :

is there anything above I can clarify for you?