75100385

I had a dormer loft conversion done 5 years ago, with a 10

I had a dormer loft conversion done 5 years ago, with a 10 year construction guarantee. It is now leaking and causing damage to internal walls. I co ntacted the firm who did the conversion, the man just looked at it from the ground and said there was nothing wrong with the structure, it must be coming from next door. He recommended a roofing contractor who is actually someone I know and trust. I paid for scaffolding to be erected, the roofing contractor did a very thorough inspection, and the verdict was that the loft conversion was finished to a very poor standard and that the poor workmanship was responsible for the water leaking in. Where do I stand with the 10 year guarantee if I get a different contrator to carry out the work? As I do not trust the original contractor to do a proper repair, am I within my rights to send them the bill?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Have you had an independent surveyor out at all, rather than builder please?

Customer:

The roofing contractor who inspected the building is in my view independent as he is not affiliated to the loft contractor in any way. I also know him to be trustworthy as he has done work for people I know.

Alex Watts :

That's helpful but I would do this.

Alex Watts :

Get a surveyor to come out. They can produce a detailed report.

Alex Watts :

Then you know whether it is the loft company

Alex Watts :

If it is then you ask them to come and fix it and pay for the cost of the surveyor.

Alex Watts :

Once they have done the work the surveyor comes out again and checks to make sure it is done correctly.

Alex Watts :

If not, you can go to Court.

Alex Watts :

The point is with the surveyor reports, if proceedings are issued, the reports can be included as evidence.

Alex Watts :

Surveyors write reports with the fact they can be admitted as evidence.

Alex Watts :

This is better evidence that from your builder.

Alex Watts :

Sadly you must give them the opportunity to remedy the problem.

Alex Watts :

The chances are it will also void any guarantee if someone else does the work.

Alex Watts :

Therefore I advise the above action

Alex Watts :

If at any point they refuse then you can get someone else do the work and send them the bill

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Although the original agreement from the loft contractor stated that I would get a 10 year guarantee, they never actually issued me with a certificate, although I got a completion certificate from building regs. So does the original agreement count for the guarantee?

Alex Watts :

Yes that would be enough - its part of the contract.

Alex Watts :

I realise giving them a chance to fix is not ideal, but sadly its the process

Customer:

Thankyou. How can I get a print of this advice?

Alex Watts :

Once you rate the format changes so you can copy and save it

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

Customer:

I am satisfied with your answers, and I have tried to do a rating by clicking on a face but it is not responding.

Alex Watts :

Oh - try again?

Customer:

When I try to click on a face it remains grey andI just get a box saying 'your expert has not finished' There is no 'accept' for me to click, as stated in the help advice.

Try it now, see if it work?

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience