29905560

I work for a document storage company on an archive and retrieval

I work for a document storage company on an archive and retrieval basis I am not a member of a union and feel I need to join one could you tell me which one is suitable please

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What are you hoping to achieve by joining a union?

Customer:

Hi Ben we are a small company consisting 2 employees and 1 M D. His man management skills are non existant and in times of confrontation I feel I need support

Ben Jones :

Sorry about the slight delay, my connection dropped earlier. If you want to join a union you may do so at any point but it does not mean that it will be recognised by your employer. This is especially the case if your employer employs less than 21 workers because if that is the case then there is no right to official union recognition in the workplace anyway. If there are only 3 of you, then you would not be able to get official union recognition in your workplace. You could still be a member of a union and perhaps use their services for advice in the event of issues that arise at work, but they would not have any bargaining power with your employer and would not be able to influence any of their decisions.

If you were looking at potential unions to join then you can have the full list of UK unions here:

http://www.tuc.org.uk/britains-unions

Some are specialist for specific industries and employers, but there are also a number of general unions that more or less anyone can join.

Customer:

thanks Ben appreciate your help

Ben Jones :

you are most welcome, all the best