12826847

I was a private tenant ,my former lanlord has claimed rent

Customer Question

I was a private tenant ,my former lanlord has claimed rent arreas which was not due to him ,I overpaid him , he provided a false address for years ,we only found out when there was a gas leak his address was not valid as his company ceased trading at that address in 1999 ,I moved into the property in 2001 ,in 2006 I moved to the above flat ,I was left with 4 months whituot gas and water ,than onoe his worker did repair the gas leak only resulting in another massive gas leak , Transco was called ,confirmed thare was an uncapped gas leak in the kichen ,went to hospital than dissspered for two years ,from November 2006 till January 2008 . it was until December that I was given the only first gas cerfificate ,the former lanlord gave a dubious gas cerficate ,till the date I vacate the flat there was still a gas leak , the former lanlord has produce false statement in order to claim rent arreas ,a false address bringing my life to a halt as for 2 years he disappearance after the gas leak caused by his workers ,I had to spent 2 years tryingto find an address to which I could write to , the lanlord never replaces the pipes in spite of the several corgy gas reports , my query is this can I claim the rent back under the false address section 48 from all those years when it deliberately provided a false address , the borough of ealing ,the tenancy department and my local mp tried to find him, they got back to me with the discovery that the address provided was not valid ,all their letters were returned , it was only in January 2008 that he gave a valid address .2 the gas issue as he left me with no heating for 4 months and serious gas leak from 2006 till when I moved out 1 of june 2009, no heating for 2 years he only provided heating system in December 2008 ,can I conclude he is in a breach of contract ? what about the false statement ,can I claim my money back from 2001 to 2008 ? this lanlord saga has distressed me to the point that my helath was badly effected not only physically but also pyscologically , im in possess of all the relevant evidence ,how can I bring this matter to justice?
When I moved out I had a housing disrepair claim against him , my soliciter negligence caused my claim to be strike out ,than the lanlord claimed rent arreas under false account , the judge enter judgment against me ,the lanlord claimed 8000 rent arreas plus 7000 interest and his legal fees 23000 pounds .
how can I challenge him , he falsely claimed unpaid rent , he gave me a false address
he disappeared for two years ,had gas leaks several ones till the day I left the property , he did not give a contract only a white paper ,which he did not sign which said the the conditions and the rent were the same as the previous flat and rent was not due to the reparation of the gas leak and hot water , he falsified a document ,ive got the original ,putting down the no exhistence address .What can I do and how the law can help me to challenge such a dishonest former lanlord ? I believe he is in a breach of a contract and produce a false statement what I should say in the letter I intend to send him? I wouls really appreciate a fast and effective response .
Patrizia ,im getting quite desperate is there anything I can do ?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

How much do you think you are owed please?

On what basis are you hoping to reclaim rent? You were living there I presume?

Or are you thinking of the overpayment?
Can you respond?

Are you ok?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did respond ,im waiting for your advice

I haven't had your response?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did replay to you , the evidence I have which prove that tehe rent he is claiming don't mach the money he is claiming ,the evidence and memos I have prove the he made a false statement and declared a false account of the facts , the address issue and the gas and safety issues are the other 2 claims I intend to do ,as he commited negligence on various occasions ,I feel I have got a case ,what your advice

Ok. Thanks.

So on what basis are you hoping to reclaim rent? You were living there I presume?

Or are you thinking of the overpayment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

can you see the above ,I have already replied to your query twice

I cant' see any resplies to that question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

im not very happy about the lack of answer I did explain my case to you , I do not understand why you cannot answer to my legal query or read my replay to you, it seems to me that something is not quite right ,you are not dealing with the query and keep sending me messages you have already sent to me.

Ok

I will opt out then.

All the best.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

I see the expert has opted out - do you still need help?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes I do , the barrister has not given me an answer yet to my legal queries

When was the Judgment? Was it for possession and arrears?