We have received a letter from Marston high court enforcement

We have received a letter from Marston high court enforcement officers addressed to our daughter. They say the bailiffs will come in seven days to recover £605.

The letter says they have confirmed her residence is at our address but she has not lived here for 10 years.

We did receive previous letters chasing a debt but after opening the first one we returned the others unopened saying return to sender, not at this address ( we kept photo copies) and asked them not to send any more correspondence.

What do we do? Can the bailiffs take goods to the value from our house?

This debt has nothing to do with us and our daughter now lives abroad.

Please can you advise us?

Amy Barrett

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Have you told them where she does live?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. When we received the 1st letter from Westcot Credit Services I opened it and sent it back just wrote on the envelope, opened in error,person does not live here.

When the secon one came I opened it and it said their latest enquiries confirmed she was still resident at our address. I sent it back and enclose the following letter;

To whom it may concern

Please take note of the following:

a) Mrs Stephanie Tiebout does not live at the above address. Therefore your latest enquiries regarding this are incorrect.

b) I would request that you do not send any further correspondence for her to this address.

I did not sign it or say she was our daughter

We then received 2 more letters which I did not open, I sent them straight back and wrote on the envelope:

NOT at this address. Stop sending them here. That was on December 30th 2013.

We heard nothing till this letter today which is addressed to Mrs Stephanie Louise Tiebout aka Barrett.

I opened it as it looked official and there was no return address on the back.

She has not been on the electoral role at our address for 10 years when she was still Barrett. Since then she was on the electoral role at another address under her maiden name.

Then when she was married she was on the electoral role as Tiebout for 2 years when she lived up north.

She emigrated to Australia 2 years ago so I don't know why these people are saying that have confirmed that she lives here.

They do not know where she is and as we have not entered into any correspondence with them I feel they are harassing us.

What can we do please?

Is there a CCJ against her do you know?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know as our address was never her correspondence address as she left home 10 years ago. There may have been something in the letters that I sent back unopened. Or maybe Mail was forwarded to her from her old address. She has never said anything and I have not told here about this situation as she has health problems and other things going on and I don't want to worry her.
Well, not telling her won't help long term. She will be a lot more worried when the bailiffs attend as they may well do.

They could attend at your house. It depends whether there is a CCJ or these are just hollow threats.

If there is a CCJ then they are able to attend essentially on the basis that they don't believe she doesn't live there.

It really doesn't matter that much from your point of view because they cannot force entry or seize anything that doesn't belong to her. If she doesn't live there then nothing should belong to her.

That said though, from her point of view the cost of these visits and letters will be racking up and if there is a CCJ against her then the chances are they will ultimately locate her. Its important you tell her about it so that she can resolve it.

Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Jo, your replies have been a great help. I was really worried that if the bailiffs come they could take items from our house.

As Steph has not lived here for over 10 years there is nothing here that belongs to her.

I think they are clutching at straws but she is a grown woman of 33 and it is not our debt at the end of the day.

Thank you again

Amy Barrett

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile