How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70009
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My tenant informed me that the value on my taps had broken

Resolved Question:

My tenant informed me that the value on my taps had broken and she had had her plumber out 3 times (he happens to be a friend of hers) and she had a part on order that would cost me £200!
I told her she was not allowed to employ her own tradesmen in my property and got y own plumber to the property the next morning. My plumber told me the tap had been forced and there were knives in the bath that they had used to prise the value! They had also cracked the tiles! I had the part (costing £70) on order with express deliver the same day and told her I would be in touch as soon as it arrived.
The next day (today) she text me and said " because you have failed to give me hot water I have taken action and had the value fitted and paid the plumber £200. I have a receipt and the old valve but if you don't pay it I will deduct it from the rent!"
What can I do? She is a manic depressive and is consistently late paying the rent (only by 1-2 days each month) but keeps insisting that there are problems that must be sorted in seconds - but then won't allow me access and when I text her to tell her the plumber was coming the next morning she ignored my text and then called me after he had been and said "how dare you let him into my flat!" What can I do? I would like to evict her!
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

She may do this. Some tenants have unrealistic expectations.

If she does then you can always either sue her for the money at the small claims court or deduct from her rent. You are being perfectly reasonable and, in fact, you are entitled to use your own tradesmen to do the work unless, of course, you kept her waiting for an unreasonable time.

If she is on an AST then you can only evict her at the end of the agreement unless you can show S8 breaches.

If she is on a periodic agreement then you can use a S21 notice at any time.

1pm the next day after being advised at 5.30pm is perfectly reasonable and you will win at court.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What do you mean by "deduct from her rent" she is talking about deducting the £200 she has paid to her plumber from the rent she owes me next can I deduct from her rent? I already have the part on order (for which I paid £70). Do you mean deduct from her deposit? I.e when she leaves?
Thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I meant deduct from her deposit.

The disadvantage of that is that you have to wait until the end of the agreement.

Suing her may be quicker.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70009
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice