Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

There is a ring belonging to my father and there is 3 sons.

There is a ring belonging to my father and there is 3 sons. There is 3 rings belonging to mother and there is 5 daughters. There is also family photo's. I am executor of the will who do these items go to.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. At the outset, if the will does not specifically deal with either the personal effects of the deceased, such as photos, or any personal assets, such as a ring, then these items fall to be dealt with in accordance with the residue clause in the will. Whoever, is stated in the will to get the remainder left over after all specific gifts have been given out gets what is left of the estate. This person or persons get to keep both the personal effects and the rings. If several persons are entitled to these items, then you as executor have power to divide them between them in an equal manner. This includes a power of sale and the division of the proceeds equally, should it prove impossible to divide them equally, as here, where there are 3 rings and 5 people.