29905560

just got disconnected, how long does a suspended sentence last

just got disconnected, how long does a suspended sentence last in terms of rehabilitation of offenders

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long is the suspended sentence for?

Customer:

hi,

Customer:

hi, for a conviction 2010, does this still have to be mentioned on an application form?

Ben Jones :

Yes but how long was the original sentence for?

Customer:

18 month suspended sentence

Ben Jones :

What is the application for?

Customer:

not for me, just a relative who wants to apply for jobs, and wasn't sure if this has to be mentioned on application forms, or spent under the Rehabilitation of offenders act 1974?

Ben Jones :

A suspended sentence of 18 months has a rehabilitation period of 4 years. This means that before it is considered 'spent' there must be a 4 year rehabilitation period. The issue is that this period only begins from the end of the sentence itself, meaning that in this the sentence only becomes spent 5.5 years after the date of conviction. So until the conviction becomes spent the person would have to declare it if asked whether they have a criminal record or any unspent convictions

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thanks

Customer:

will do. thanks