29905560

Is it against a persons human rights to be forced to watch

Is it against a persons human rights to be forced to watch a video of an actual fire crew attending the scene of a fatal accident.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Can you please explain your situation in a bit more detail.

Customer:

I am a self employed driver on permanent contract to a large concrete company and they are constantly browbeating us with health & safety and they want me to watch said video.

Ben Jones :

Is it graphic in any way?

Customer:

Yes I believe from talking to collegues who have seen it that it is graphic as it was a fatal accident.

Ben Jones :

It is not against your human rights to be asked to watch this video and the employer could easily justify this as being necessary for health and safety training. However, it does depend on what the contents of the video are, for example if it is graphic, directly showing scenes of injury/death, etc then you could raise this as something you are not comfortable watching. The problem there is that the employer can still require you to attend and watch the video and warn you in advance when there are any scenes you may find distressing so that you do not watch them, but once they are over you could be asked to continue watching this. So this is not really a human rights issue, this is not what human rights legislation is intended for but you can challenge certain parts of the video and the employer’s requirement for you being there to watch them. Just be careful about an outright refusal to watch this as it could mean you have refused to comply with a reasonable instruction and not completed H&S training, which could affect the employer’s ability to give you work.

Customer:

ok Ben thanks for clearing that one up for me.

Ben Jones :

You are most welcome