tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

WHAT IS THE SENTENCE FOR IMPORTATION OF COCAINE IN LONDON FOR

WHAT IS THE SENTENCE FOR IMPORTATION OF COCAINE IN LONDON FOR A FOREIGN NATIONAL

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

MY HUSBAND CAME TO LONDON FROM TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO. HE WAS ARRESTED IN DUTY FREE IN LONDON WITH 2 KILOS OF COCAINE IN HIS POSSESION, HE WAS LATER CHARGED FOR IMPORTATION OF COCAINE AND IS CURRENTLY AWAITING SENTENCING. I WILL LIKE TO KNOW WHAT IS THE SENTENCE THAT GOES WITH THAT CHARGE OF IMPORTATION OF COCAINE

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
I NEED TO GET THE ANSWER, ITS THAT I PAID FOR
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I see you have relisted your question.

There are a range of sentences for this type of this offence. For class A drugs, like cocaine, the sentence range is 3 years and 6 months to 16 years imprisonment. A copy of the sentencing guidelines can be found here: http://sentencingcouncil.judiciary.gov.uk/docs/Drug_Offences_Definitive_Guideline_final_(web).pdf

I hope this answers your question but if you require anything more, just let me know.

Tony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

SO WHAT U SAYING IS FOR 2 KILOS, IMPORTATION OF COCAINE MEANS HE CAN GET ANYTHING FROM 3 YEARS - 16 YEARS? WILL IT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE IF ITS HIS FIRST OFFENCE AND IF HE ALREADY PLEADED GUILTY? is there a minimum sentence too?

Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.
Yes, that's what I am saying, but there are further guidelines to consider. The bigger sentencing ranges come into force with ver 5kgs of cocaine, and he is less than that.

The period I stated are the usual starting periods, the maximum is life imprisonment, although that's not going to happen for 2kg cocaine, first offence and admission of guilt.

I would expect he would be looking at something in the order of a 3 year custodial sentence, but yes, the sentence could be less given his admission of guilt and it being his first offence. There are, on the list I gave you, a number of factors, such as degree of concealment, part in the importation chain etc., which are all taken into account.

Have a look at the link I gave you as it gives a lot of details about the sentencing range.

Tony

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thank you 3 years is what i was thinkung as well. he collected in in the airport from somebody and when he realised they were looking at him he concealed it in his private. he already admitted guilt and is waiting sentencing for it, i have been getting a lot of crazy sentences whilst searching online so definitely i understand your answee. can u be taken as a defence lawyer as well? do u suggest he gets one?

Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.
I can't act for him I'm afraid - we're only allowed to give information on here, not act for people.

However, I have no doubt that he can find himself a good criminal solicitor, and to be honest, they have little to do other than make a plea in mitigation, as there is no trial etc., as he has pleaded guilty. So, as you say, it's all about sentencing really.

If he wants names of some criminal lawyers in his area, then I would suggest he start with the duty solicitor who helped him at the police station, or you speak with the law society on +44 (0)20 7320 5650 (Monday to Friday from 09:00 to 17:30) and they will guide you to people that do this type of work in his immediate area.

I hope this is okay and that you're happy with my answer?

Tony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do u see d need for a lawyer then at all at this time?

Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.
You don't HAVE to, but I would always encourage people to do that, this is after all very serious and likely to result in him going to prison. I would strongly suggest that somebody there, speaking highly of him, explaining his stupidity and remorse would be beneficial to him.

Tony
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX very beneficial to me. also i was thinkin that he will hav been facing like about 8 years but now that u explain u wont believe im feeling so much better. thanks i will defnitely rate you

Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.
Thank you! I look forward to the rating and am grateful for your question tonight!

Take care.

Tony
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience: 11 years experience of general practice.